If you have added additional Storage groups to Exchange on your EBS Messaging (MSG) Server and need to replacement setup the MSG Server for whatever reason the setup will fails at the restore 'xyz Storage group during the replacement mode.
To workaround this you need to deleted the Sales storage group from Adsiedit.msc. You can easily recreate it and restore the data after the MSG replacement installation is complete.
This is what you need to know to delete the additional Storagegroups and databases:
- Open Adsiedit.msc
- Connect to the configuration partition.
- Expand Configuration-Services-Microsoft Exchange-<Organization Name>-Administrative Groups-Servers-<Messaging Server name>-Information Stores.
- Delete the appropriate Storage group from here or you can drill down further and delete the appropriate database that is causing the problem.
- You can probably use Exchange management shell at the point.
- Open the exchange management shell using the following command:
C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerSheall\v1.0\Powershell.exe -PSConsoleFile "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange\Bin\Exchange.ps1"
- Run remove-mailboxdatabase command to remove the appropriate database.
- Run get-mailboxdatabase to confirm.
- Recreate the databases once the replacement mode setup is complete.